Sunday, January 31, 2010

Two in a row?

To what do I owe this honor?

Tonight was my twenty-minutes-of-intervals night. Last time, I was stuck on the elliptical, like it or not, because all of the treadmills were taken. Tonight, though, I snagged the last open treadmills, crossed my fingers, and went for it.

And what do you know? Two completely pain-free, super-rewarding runs in a row.

Oxygen provides a suggested 20-minute interval plan based on RPEs. The actual intervals are good -- 90 seconds at RPE 6ish, followed by 30 seconds at 8-9, repeat. However, it ALSO calls for a 5-minute warmup AND 5-minute cooldown at RPE 3-4...and that's included in the 20 minutes. I just can't wrap my mind around spending half of my workout not, well, working. So, I cheat a little. I spend the first 5 minutes at my typical RPE 6 (a 9 minute pace, or 6.7mph), kick it up a little to 7.0 for the first 90 second chunk, and then up to 8.6 for the fast 30 seconds. I also stick with 6.7mph for the first 2 1/2 minutes of my cooldown, but I do walk the last 2 1/2.

After the gym, I was all excited -- PhillyGuy was trying his hand at grilling fish for the first time ever. We picked up some sea bass the last time we were at Costco, and tonight he grilled them up based on a recipe he found online -- coated with various spices (paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, some other stuff) and basted with a garlic butter he melted down with some fresh parsley. I tossed some fresh asparagus, quartered baby portobello mushrooms, and shallots with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and rosemary, and roasted that for 25 minutes at 400 degrees on the side.

Oh, MAN this was a good dinner. PhillyGuy has officially added fish to his repertoire.

Unfortunately, Sophie hates it when we open the sliding doors to get out on the balcony and grill. She freaked and climbed into our end table, where she hid through most of the cooking process. She's relaxing now, but not really camera-ready...so I share with you this "vintage" Sophie moment from early fall:

From Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment