Thursday, April 22, 2010

8 Mile

I don't know what got into me today -- maybe it was chatting with my fellow Philly Foodies the other night, maybe it was just the sunshine -- but I decided randomly this afternoon that I was going to run tonight.

Not one of my typical runs from the past few months, where I knock out four miles or so and cry about how I'm not as fast as I used to be.

No -- this was a test run (pun). I wanted to do 8 miles. I figure -- if I could cover 8 miles, even 8 slow miles, I'd know if I could do ten next weekend at Broad Street. If the 8-miler was a big fat fail, well -- then it was time to give up the bib.

Here is what Chrissey looks like when she completes 8 miles in a reasonable amount of time despite not having trained at all:


How the crap do you take a good picture of your Garmin, anyway? I took at least 8 or 9, and this one was BY FAR the best.

Anyway -- so, I did it. I ran down 24th street, picked up the Schuylhill River trail at Locust, and did a nice out-and-back down Kelly Drive, which I haven't done in a VERY long time. I told myself I was just going to do four two-mile runs. After every two miles, I was allowed to stop, pause the Garmin, and stretch my hamstrings/glutes. And I did that -- never for very long, but I really think it made all the difference in the world.

The first six miles felt GOOD. There were a couple of times when my legs felt like bricks, but I pushed through every time, and I just felt...GOOD. The last two miles...well, less good. Mile 7 was rough that I walked for half of mile 8. I ran the last half miles and, despite my achin' legs, finished strong. Splits:

Mile 1: 9:50
Mile 2: 9:34
Mile 3: 9:54
Mile 4: 9:31
Mile 5: 9:53
Mile 6: 9:27
Mile 7: 10:05 (starting to fall apart)
Mile 8: 13:04 (walked first .5)

I'm so glad I went. Around mile 3, I started noticing that the sky was clouding up, and I starting thinking to myself "hmm...maybe I should have checked the radar." Sure enough, right at my turnaround point at mile 4, gale-force winds started blowing and it started to rain. I'm glad it did, actually -- it only rained for about 6 or 7 minutes and completely refreshed me. I was sort of disappointed when it stopped...mostly because I was already outlining how I'd tell the story of my "OMG SO HARDCORE RUN" where I ran the WHOLE SECOND HALF in the rain.

Not so much.

Playlist that kept me going:

I have eclectic taste in music. It's ok.

Question of the day: what's the better Rocky workout/montage song? "No Easy Way Out" or "Hearts on Fire?" I have such a hard time deciding -- on one hand, does it GET any better than angry, mourning Rocky speeding around in his ridic sports car? On the other -- yes, when he RUNS UP A MOUNTAIN. Gah. So hard to decide.


  1. they are some fun jams. music is definitely what keeps ya going.

    you should be proud!

  2. Haha your running playlist resembles mine. Nice job on the 8 miles! I so wish I could run Broad Street next weekend!

  3. um yeah, i can never get my garmin photos to turn out well either (i think because of bad indoor lighting?). i have the same model watch as you but haven't bothered to figure out how to do the mile splits yet- is it easy? go check out my blog to enter a give-away that ends tomorrow- only a few have entered so your chances of winning are good :)