Sunday, July 25, 2010

Upstate NY 1, PhillyGirl 0

PhillyGuy and I spent the weekend in his hometown up in upstate New York.

Road trippin' puppies. This is how Sophie likes to ride:

Checking everything out.

Some of PhillyGuy's friends from high school were tying the knot - high school sweethearts who have been dating FOR.E.VER. The wedding was outside at a beautiful location next to the the direct sunlight. I know I was quite toasty - I felt so bad for all the guys in their suits & ties, and I just can't fathom how hot the bride must have been in her gorgeous -- but HEAVY! -- gown.

Ridiculously fun? They had a caricature artist at the reception. I insisted that PhillyGuy and I get ours done. The finished product:

Um, meet my husband, Rick Moranis. You may know him from such films as "Ghostbusters" and "Little Shop of Horrors."

This morning, I laced up my shoes and headed out for a five mile run. The temperature was in the low to mid-70s, which is definitely the coolest it's been in a while. I was feeling pretty good...for the first quarter mile or so. After that, a combination of the hills, the humidity and my general dehydration started to kick in, and I was struggling. HARD.

My usual route at PhillyGuy's parents' house is a loop that's just over four miles and super easy. Run up his street, hang a right, follow that road around in a big loop down main street and past a golf course, hang another right and generally cruise in home. Even though there's a LOT more incline in his town than what I'm used to here in Philly, it's not so bad - there's basically one climb from about mile 1.5 to 2.5, and then I end with a good .6 mile downhill that cruises into a flat stretch for the last quarter mile to his house. I headed out to do that route, plus a jag down his grandparents' street and back up for an extra mile.

And then...blech. That extra mile. The first half mile was either downhill or flat, but turning around and heading back left me struggling up a LONG hill. It was rough -- I was bargaining with myself the entire way back up just to keep from stopping to walk. At the top of the hill, around 2.16 miles, I had to stop and stretch and catch my breath. I had serious cottonmouth and the humidity left me feeling like I was swimming. The idea of continuing on my route -- another half mile or so of straight uphill -- was just unbearable.

So, I swallowed my pride and turned around to run back. Altogether I covered 3.25 miles in about 32 minutes, and struggled the.whole.freakin.time. Splits:

Mile 1: 9:39
Mile 2: 9:59
Mile 3: 10:07
.25 nub: 2:17

It feels good to be home - I'm chilling on the couch watching Kourtney & Khloe while Cosmo naps next to me. How was your weekend?


  1. Dont forget "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" possibly his best work...

  2. Gosh, I wish we could afford to do something fun like a caricature artist or a photo booth at our reception :o/

    Ugh, don't talk to me about the bride! We are getting married at 2:30 in the afternoon at the end of August in SC. My dress is also kind of heavy (despite searching high and low for one that looked good and would be more comfortable, sigh) and I'm dreading how hot I'll probably be :o/