Tuesday, June 28, 2011

CrossFit, Take 1

Work has been kicking my butt lately - I'm going to end up billing close to 190 hours this month AND I spent the first week of it on vacation. Today was just a big ball of stress and anxiety, and so I was particularly glad that I had scheduled my very first CrossFit session for tonight.

I headed over to CrossFit Center City at 13th and Walnut right after work for my first "On Ramp" session. Before you can start taking normal classes, you have to complete six "On Ramp" classes, which focus on the basic moves used in CrossFit's WODs. (For a great primer on CrossFit, check out Fitbomb. His blog is what first got me interested in CrossFit.)

Tonight's class focused on overhead squats. We used sections of PVC pipe (i.e. - pretty much zero weight) instead of bars to put together the mechanics of a proper squat, overhead squat, and finally a one-armed overheard squat. And then came my very-first-ever WOD ("workout of the day").

Tonight's WOD was the "One Armed Jeremy:" for time, 21-15-9 sets of single-arm overhead squats and burpees. What that means is 21 overhead squats with the left arm, 21 overhead squats with the right arm, followed by 21 burpees. Repeat with 15 and 9. So, for those of you playing along at home, that's 42 squats followed by 21 burpees followed by 30 squats followed by 15 burpees followed by 18 squats followed by 9 burpees. (Here's a link to a video of some Crossfitters doing Jeremy with standard overhead squats.)

I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE. FROM SQUATTING A FREAKING BROOMSTICK.

My time? 7:58. I was the third person to finish, with sweat dripping from my face...FROM LESS THAN EIGHT MINUTES OF ACTIVITY. The first finisher was done in less than five minutes, which makes me think that he may not have been doing all of the squats, since the next fastest finish was 7:51.

I freaking loved it. I mean, I hated it, especially when I had just finished my first 21 squats and I was nowhere near finished. But I loved it, and I think I'm going to do well with this, and I can't wait to go back on Thursday.

All I wanted when I got home was something cold and easy.



Chicken with Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute.




And my favorite salad dressing - drizzle of olive oil, some salt and pepper, and the best rice vinegar in the entire world.


My quads are ALREADY freaking sore. CrossFit is going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment