Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Verdict?

Sore.

I am debating making tonight a "rest night." Last night's legs routine may not have seemed like enough at the time, and perhaps it wasn't -- but I am definitely sore today.

It's been a long week at work. And it's only WEDNESDAY. Here I am, staring at a Saxby's coffee cup, trying to force myself to finish this project I'm on. It's not a particularly hard project, but it's not all that interesting, either -- and I have so much other stuff to do that I enjoy so much more! (And I'm not just talking about, you know, buying ten pairs of new Lululemon sweats or playing fetch with Sophie. I have "fun" projects here at work, too.) But alas, I have a deadline to meet. And hours to bill.

Suspect I'll be billing a bunch of those hours either at home or over the weekend. Or both. Le sigh. Sometimes, you just need to take a break to refocus.

So, here's my break. I attempt to decide whether tonight will be a rest night (my aching back and shoulders and hamstrings think it should be!) or whether I will take a quick, easy shake-out run to release some of that tightness in my legs (since I'm not actually TIRED, this is what my brain thinks it should be). The wildcard in all of this is that at 4:30, we have a "mandatory" wine and cheese gathering in my office.

Life's tough, right?

I suspect that, while my brain right now is clamoring "SHAKE-OUT RUN! SHAKE-OUT RUN!", a glass of red will promptly convert me to "NAP TIME! NAP TIME!" Which really, when you think about it, is not necessarily a bad thing. Overtraining and ignoring aches and pains is what put me on my running hiatus in the first place, right?

...and then I laugh at the idea of my measly 15-mile weeks being "overtraining." Perhaps we'll just let that red wine do its job.

2 comments:

  1. Lately I've been loving how running and yoga make me feel that it's actually difficult to give myself "rest nights"...but I only wash my hair every other day, and I sweat too much when I run or do long (30-50 minute) yoga sessions to do those things on a day when my hair isn't going to be washed. Give and take, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing with my hair -- I've tried about 4 or 5 different dry shampoos for te in-between days. Best one so far is Ojon, but the packaging is terrible -- the nozzle stops working when the product gets down to about 1/3 left. When it happened with my first can I figured it was a fluke, but now I'm on my second can and it did the same thing -- design flaw! I refuse to keep spending $30 on something where I end up wasting so much product. Lame!

    ReplyDelete